Making use of assessment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://farrier.forumotion.com

Use of assessment in every day teaching Empty Use of assessment in every day teaching

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 am
How do you use assessment in your everyday teaching?
Consider the use of different types of assessment and how it suits your learners.
Have you any examples from your experience of how effective various types of assessment are?
stewsshoes

Use of assessment in every day teaching Empty Re: Use of assessment in every day teaching

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:22 pm
In my every day assessment i probably use questions and answers and refection the most.
Admin
Admin

Use of assessment in every day teaching Empty Re: Use of assessment in every day teaching

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:23 pm
Interesting stewsshoes, how does this look in practice?
marc thomas jones

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 pm
to see if learner is taken in what u are trying to teach them
oral practical writing
doing tasks in a certain time
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:27 pm
Marc. what type of writing tasks are involved: is this through printed sheets or is this work you discuss with the learner first?
scott j saunders

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:28 pm
use assessment in everyday teaching by discussing on how they have done and giving feed back on how they could have improve . i will do a surprise exam for some apprentices so they can see that they are where they should be with there learning
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:30 pm
scott j saunders wrote:use assessment in everyday teaching by discussing on how they have done and giving feed back on how they could have improve . i will do a surprise exam for some apprentices so they can see that they are where they should be with there learning  

I am interested in this, Scott. How well do they respond to a surprise exam? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
owendavid

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:30 pm
i use assessment by observing to look at whats going on and to see what stage the student is to what task he or she is doing.
you can either talk and explain or have a hands on practical approach
yes both you can talk and listen for assessment or look at someone working to assess them
robert pritchard

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm
I mainly visually assess during every day teaching, i also verbally and orally assess.

Different types of assessments can enable the learner to learn and retain information if delivered in different format.

I have shown a student how to trim a horses hoof of which he absorbed and replicated resulting the student being able to trim hoofs in a similar manner.

Different types of assessments are applicable depending on the task in hand and the desired result needing to be achieved.
Visual assessment is my preffered assessment as very effective.
marc thomas jones

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:31 pm
would give them home work on a certin elament like describe tendons in lower leg using dirgrams
stewsshoes

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:33 pm
Admin wrote:Interesting stewsshoes, how does this look in practice?
If we was shoeing a horse i would ask questions on foot dressing, such as hows the balance of the foot, is the foot healthy, does it have thrush and what type/size of shoe would you use.
once the job is finished we would then reflect and dissuce good and bad points, and access how we could improve.
robert pritchard

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm
owendavid wrote:i use assessment by observing to look at whats going on and to see what stage the student is to what task he or she is doing.
yes both you can talk and listen for assessment or look at someone working to assess them
: What a Face What a Face
marc thomas jones

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:35 pm
robert pritchard wrote:I mainly visually assess during every day teaching,  i also verbally and orally assess.

Different types of assessments can enable the learner to learn and retain information if delivered in different format.

I have shown a student how to trim a horses hoof of which he absorbed and replicated resulting the student being able to trim hoofs in a similar manner.

Different types of assessments are applicable depending on the task in hand and the desired result needing to be achieved.

would u get together with others farriers and aprentices to help assess on theyer work shoes ect
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:37 pm
owendavid wrote:i use assessment by observing to look at whats going on and to see what stage the student is to what task he or she is doing.

I believe that the observation of students is vital: as you put it in our discussion: "Being nosey!"
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:38 pm
What would you say is the single most effective form of assessment that you use?
robert pritchard

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:38 pm
marc thomas jones wrote:
robert pritchard wrote:I mainly visually assess during every day teaching,  i also verbally and orally assess.

would u get together with others farriers and aprentices  to help assess on theyer  work  shoes ect
:I WOULD MEET UP WITH FELLOW FARRIERV TO DISCUSS AT A PUB OF MY CHOICE AND THEY BROUGHT ALL THE BEER FOR THE NIGHT , BUT NOT IN WALES AS I HAVE NO PASSPORT Laughing Laughing
marc thomas jones

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:41 pm
a good assessment is to get apprentice to do a past papper from collage and send it in to collage for marking to see what grade they get for feed back to see if they on course
robert pritchard

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:42 pm
stewsshoes wrote:
If we was shoeing a horse i would ask questions on foot dressing, such as hows the balance of the foot, is the foot healthy, does it have thrush and what type/size of shoe would you use.
once the job is finished we would then reflect  and dissuce good and bad points, and access how we could improve.
TEXT BOOK ANSWER, affraid
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm
marc thomas jones wrote:a good assessment is to get apprentice to do a past papper from collage and send it in to collage for marking to see what grade  they get  for feed back to see if they on course

This is a great idea. Do you have easy access to past papers?
owendavid

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:47 pm
scott j saunders wrote:use assessment in everyday teaching by discussing on how they have done and giving feed back on how they could have improve . i will do a surprise exam for some apprentices so they can see that they are where they should be with there learning  

hi scott thats a good idea what sort of surprise exam do you give them practical or theory ?
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:48 pm
robert pritchard wrote:
stewsshoes wrote:
once the job is finished we would then reflect  and dissuce good and bad points, and access how we could improve.
TEXT BOOK ANSWER, affraid

As Rob suggests, a textbook answer!
It is good to be reflective.
scott j saunders

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:49 pm
Admin wrote:What would you say is the single most effective form of assessment that you use?
I use a quick questons and answer booklet in the van on way to the next yard with diagrams and colour pens to make it a more visual way of learning
Admin
Admin

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:52 pm
An interesting discussion, everyone. Thanks very much.
stewsshoes

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:52 pm
Admin wrote:What would you say is the single most effective form of assessment that you use?
for me its visual and oral assessment.
as these two assessment can be doing as we work or driving to next yard.
marc thomas jones

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:53 pm
Admin wrote:
marc thomas jones wrote:a good assessment is to get apprentice to do a past papper from collage and send it in to collage for marking to see what grade  they get  for feed back to see if they on course

This is
a great idea. Do you have easy access to past papers?
yes i do if u ask collage for some they can assist you they there to help they can also do QandA on line
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum